Sunday, March 6, 2022

 More Signs of Spring!

I saw my first flock of Tundra Swans this spring heading in a north-westerly direction over Wawanosh Wetlands. Since they were out of formation, they may have been considering stopping but changed their minds upon seeing the frozen water. I understand that only a few swans have arrived at the fields in North Lambton. Melt water and left over grains in a former lake provide an annual resting stop for the swans in their migration to the Arctic.

A "First of Year" Common Grackle visited our backyard feeder then sat in the sun on an overhead wire, giving me a devious stare!

The last time I saw wildlife peeking out of this hole, an Eastern Screech Owl was staring back at me. The owl must have moved on as a Chipmunk has moved in!

In my rush to reach a high point of land for the morning sunrise, I stumbled upon a Red-tailed Hawk who also seemed surprised to see me. I had time for 2 pictures before he flew away.

I was happy to see a bat box erected in the Canatara Meadow (showing an outline of a bat so people will know what it is). Loss of tree cavities makes it hard for bats to find nesting spots and bat boxes can provide suitable substitute nesting areas. It is generally too cold for them to survive through the winter in the boxes. Bats in Ontario are insect eaters which make them good neighbours in the spring and summer!  (https://www.nwf.org/garden-for-wildlife/cover/build-a-bat-house) We even saw a couple of bats last night while we unsuccessfully watched for American Woodcock!

No comments:

Post a Comment