Wednesday, December 14, 2022

 Bald Eagle in Canatara:

As I began my morning walk, I noticed a "new" lump on a tree and realized a young Bald Eagle was perched above the trail. Based upon the amount of white in the face, I am guessing it to be approximately 4 years old. Bald Eagles are generally 5 years of age before they display the all white head and tail. I was able to walk along the trail below without seeming to disturb him.

After I moved to the far side of Lake Chipican, he left his perch and kept a watchful eye on a Mallard swimming along the shoreline. The Drake did not seem to be bothered by the menacing predator only a few feet away.

The Eagle later flew directly overhead as I walked along the shore of Lake Huron. 

At one point he was so close, he didn't fit within the camera frame! After circling once, he headed towards Michigan. I didn't see any indication that he had a successful hunt in Ontario.

It was a beautiful morning to watch the sunrise today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment