Sunday, July 16, 2023

 A Rainbow of Coloured Wings!

All insects in this post were photographed in my yard this week!


I was most delighted to find a Coral Hairstreak on the Orange Butterfly Weed! As my friend Anne says, "If you plant it they will come!" I have heard that the caterpillars will eat cherry and I have lots of Dwarf Sand Cherry nearby. I will keep my eyes open for larva.

On one visit to check on the hairstreak, I found it sitting on the roof of my car!!

Two tiny Raspberry Pyrausta Moths (8-11 mm) sat in the sun on my Pearly Everlasting. They aren't always viewed with their wings spread. I guess I was lucky that we had 3.5 inches of rain the night before. The poor thing was probably trying to dry off!

While waiting out front for a friend, I noticed something sparkling in the garden. It was a Golden Tortoise Beetle!! Size was similar to a small Lady Bird Beetle. 

Katydid (sp.)

Red-banded Leaf Hoppers mating in backyard! A nickname for this species is Candy Striped Leafhopper. Leafhoppers feed on plant sap with the aid of specialized mouth parts. 
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/56925-Graphocephala-coccinea

Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetle

No comments:

Post a Comment