Sunday, April 28, 2024

 Point Lands!

I wandered around the Point Lands by the St. Clair River recently. The Great Lakes Model (above) was a big hit with my kids when they were young as they sailed homemade boats through the waters. However the 2 foot drop at Niagara Falls caused much stress when the sailing vessels became trapped at the bottom of the miniature hydraulic wave. (A butterfly net always saved the day!)

Tree Swallows were the "bird of the day" by the pond as they flew circles around me, periodically landing on perches.

The day of my walk appeared to be "Nest Box Selection Day". They investigated each box, taking turns perching, peeking inside, and then flying to the next box.

Time for a rest.

The Swallows were in competition with invasive House Sparrows for the nesting boxes.

A female Red-winged Blackbird popped up on the dogwood bush as I passed by. She was likely assessing the site for nest placement.

As I approached, a male Red-winged Blackbird departed.

I finally saw the new SARNIA sign by the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment