Thursday, January 16, 2020

Mid-January

I have been faithfully carrying my camera around, despite the dreary weather.  Once in awhile the sun pops out.  Yesterday at lunch was one of those times and I found a grey Screech Owl peeking out of a wood duck box.  He too, was enjoying the sunshine!

Carolina Wrens continue to come to our backyard peanut feeder.  This bird was keeping both eyes on me.  I had to take the photo through the glass window.

Deryl had a close encounter with a Canada Goose recently.  It's amazing that Lake Chipican is still mostly ice free.  I hope hibernating creatures don't wake up thinking that spring has sprung!

Near Strathroy, I encountered a large flock of Snow Buntings (1,000+), my first of the year!  

While touring around the county on the weekend, we found a few dead ends thanks to flooded roads.

The main trails to the back of Henderson Conservation Area have been flooded this winter more often than not.

Following the rainfall, muddy creeks and rivers are making it more difficult for fishing birds to find food.  A Kingfisher moved from Talfourd Creek to the St. Clair River in his quest for a meal.

Despite the rain, there was enough of a chill in the air to frost the trees.

Even the trees on Stag Island, in the St. Clair River, were frosted white.

No comments:

Post a Comment