Saturday, April 11, 2020

Creating a Chickadee Nesting Cavity!

I have another excuse for photographing these cute little black and white birds! Last weekend, I discovered a pair of Chickadees excavating a cavity for a nest. I've been taking photos through the past week and have the following ones to share.

The quick motion of the busy birds initially caught my attention.
When I stopped to watch the activity, one Chickadee entered a hole in a tree stump.

Chickadee nesting cavities are often round. 
This is the first time I have seen one in the shape of a rectangle. 

The 2 little birds were constantly entering and exiting.
Their mouths were very full of sawdust!

This fellow wasn't making any noise. 
He was just trying to spit ALL of the wood sawdust out of his mouth!

A few times both birds would squeeze through the hole at the same time!
Today, I noticed that the "parents to be" could fit in the hole together!
It has been a busy week of excavating for them!!

I haven't seen any sign of soft, nesting material being taken 
inside the hole so it still may be awhile before eggs are laid.

Deryl also found a Chickadee nest being excavated during the past week.  
This one has the traditional round hole.It is a very busy time for these, and other birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment