Saturday, February 20, 2021

 Canatara Park and Suncor Trail:

On one of the colder afternoons this week, I found a cute Golden-crowned Kinglet busily looking for food. I hope he found enough to stay warm through the night as adults only weigh 5.5 grams! Surprisingly, these tiny birds are able to tolerate night time temperatures of -40 degrees. (Cornel Lab, All About Birds) If you look closely at the bottom picture, there appears to be an insect on the tip of his tongue. 

We found the Wood Duck Drake again. This time he was out of the water, eating plant seeds. He jumped to reach them but I wasn't able to capture the mid-air bird. In the bottom photo, the snow is flying after his webbed feet made contact with the ground.

My favourite wren, the Carolina Wren, popped up in front of me on a Canatara trail. Although they are often very noisy, I didn't hear a peep out of him.

A Red-tailed Hawk sat in a tree keeping an eye on the skaters on Lake Chipican.







No comments:

Post a Comment