Thursday, April 8, 2021

 The Majestic Great Blue Heron!

One of my favourite birds is the Great Blue Heron. A male in full breeding plumage has been in Canatara Park the past few days. I love the feathery adornments on his head and neck!

As I walked past the small duck pond, I found him standing on a 
flooded bench. It was a great perch to view the fish swimming below. 

I had the time today to sit and watch as he stretched and fluffed his feathers.

If close enough, herons can stretch their long necks to grab food without moving their feet and alerting the prey to their presence. Those long legs probably look like sticks to the unsuspecting fish.

He eventually decided a different location could make better hunting grounds.

A close up as he passed by a small bush. The beak makes an excellent spear!

Success at last! The heron was camouflaged but not the fish!

Despite the size of this goldfish, he swallowed it whole in about 10 seconds!



No comments:

Post a Comment