Sunday, June 26, 2022

6-Legged Beauties!

I had to look at this Hologram Moth from a few different angles before convincing myself that it was a moth and not a dead leaf!  Having found this "lifer" I now need to look at dead leaves more closely when on my insect adventures! The large patch on its back is iridescent and can shine from green to bronze depending upon the angle of light.   https://seabrookeleckie.com/2011/07/25/hologram-moth/

The Common Spring Moth is one of the earliest spring moths. Although it is considered to be common, it was another "lifer" for me! It is active during the months of March, April, and May, and sometimes into June in Southern Ontario.  https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.php?identification=Common-Spring-Moth

I've been watching for Dogwood Leaf Beetles, and was happy to finally find one today. It is a member of the Calligrapha family and looks like a Calligrapher has drawn on its back!

Although this Common Stretch Spider has 8 legs, I included it because it was hiding behind the Dogwood Leaf Beetle. I wonder if either was aware of the others' presence?? 

The Grape Plume Moth is more often found on wild grapes than on cultivated varieties. It overwinters in the pupal stage and the adult moths emerge during the spring.  http://www.ladybug.uconn.edu/FactSheets/grape-plume-moth.php

Adult Yellow-horned Flower Longhorn Beetles have antennae that are as long or longer than the body. 
 
Sunrise over Lake Huron, 5:10 a.m. June 23rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment