Thursday, June 23, 2022

 More Pics from East Lambton:

Although our focus was on finding Dragonflies, I couldn't very well avert my camera when a beautiful Great Spangled Fritillary nectared on some clover right in front of me!

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would have found it hard to believe that this very worn and tattered Crescent was actually able to fly!

There were no set trails as we wove our way through the forest. I liked the way the light shone through this tree cavity!

The impressive branches and camouflaged bark of an American Sycamore Tree!

The interior base of this 200+ year old tree could easily sit a couple of adults. American Sycamores have strong wood but as the tree ages, a fungus attacks and consumes the heartwood. The fungus doesn't kill the tree, but it makes it weak and hollow. Wildlife benefit from hollow trees, using them as storage chambers for nuts, nesting sites, and shelter.  https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/sycamore/sycamore-tree-care.htm

While driving to the start point for our dragonfly count, we found 6 White-tailed Deer in a field. During our 3 hour walking trek, 5 very young fawns popped up and ran away. They were all too fast for my camera and I!

No comments:

Post a Comment