Wednesday, February 28, 2024

 Early Spring Risers!

First Eastern Comma of 2024! (Found by Deryl on Feb. 27th. which was an unseasonably warm day.) This butterfly is one of a few species that overwinter as adults and are usually the first to fly in the spring. It was common for me to find them in the Sugar Bush in March where they would drink sap dripping from the Sugar Maples. I hope it will be able to find shelter from today's dramatic temperature drop.

I found a well-camouflaged Fall Cankerworm Moth as it fluttered in the sunshine. Luckily for me, it landed on a twig so I could photograph it!

An enthusiastic Red-winged Blackbird, very pleased with the warm weather, sang for all to hear!

I found 10 turtles soaking up the sun on Feb. 27th., including 6 Painted Turtles. The other 4 turtles were Pond Sliders which are invasive in Ontario.

Snowdrops didn't need to push through the snow this year.

Human-made flower that won't suffer from the cold.

Storm Skies as the temperature began to drop this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment