Wednesday, May 27, 2020



 Monarchs are back!!

I saw my first Monarch of the year on May 25th! I haven't recorded past 
year "first arrivals" but it seems early to me, especially after the cold spring.


Having survived the winter in the chrysalis stage, this Spicebush Swallowtail 
has emerged as an adult and is busy searching for sources of nectar.


A male Orchard Oriole scolded me as I walked along a trail, warning his family of 
the danger. I've not seen a nest of this species but it is similar to the Baltimore Oriole.


A Baltimore Oriole nest is being built in our backyard! We have only seen the female do the construction, and a little research shows that the males do not do any weaving or building.  They just defend the territory. Knots are not deliberately made, but random poking creates tangles, resulting in secure knots! It can take a week to build the hanging, sock-like nest.


Other birds busy in the mating and nest building season are these Chipping Sparrows.

For the past several mornings, Deryl has been entertained by a nearby skunk 
at work. It hasn't really been swimming. His wet fur was caused by the dew.

I invented Social Distancing! Stay back 6 feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment