Sunday, June 14, 2020

Surprise!

While walking a trail in Strathroy C.A., I looked up to see a doe watching me. I took a few pictures then continued on my way. I wondered why she didn't flee so I went back, had a clearer view of her and snapped a few more pictures. It wasn't until after I had taken this photo that I realized she had a fawn with her. Look closely to the left of Mom. You can see an ear, 2 eyes and perhaps a nose. I never did get a good photo of the fawn, but I was lucky enough to watch the 2 of them leap across the path in front of me a few minutes later. That fawn sure could jump!


(Sorry Dave, but I need to stick with ungulates a bit longer. We'll get to "Things with Wings" in the next pic. 😏)  On a circuitous route home from Strathroy, we drove past the farm with the zebras and were fortunate to see one in the front field. It was such an unexpected discovery the first time we found them!!

The male and female Red-bellied Woodpecker are regularly bringing food to the nest cavity to feed the hungry young.  The male, shown here, makes a surprising amount of noise considering there is a Coopers Hawk nest only 15 metres to the south!

A Red-headed Metal Pecker! I didn't actually hear any pecking sounds on the metal, but the bird collected many insects from under the light to feed his babies!

Although these House Sparrows are invasive, I photographed Dad, Mom and one juvenile all in the same shot! Lunch is looking a little green today!

Red-winged Blackbirds often nest in cattail stands, but when cattails are lacking they will find some other secure vegetation source on which to build their nests. Mom's head and tail are both visible as she sits on the eggs.

Many Common Ringlets were nectaring in the meadow this morning.

I have been looking for many years for a Spiny Softshell Turtle. 
Although I have seen captive ones, this was my first one in the wild!

Watch out for young toads and frogs! There was a mass emergence of American Toads and Wood Frogs this past week. It was difficult to walk the trails without stepping on them. The Wood Frog shown, is the tiniest one I have ever seen. It is the black blob sitting to the left of the ring for size comparison.


No comments:

Post a Comment