Sunday, October 18, 2020

 A Bird in the Hand!

I was happy to find left over seed in my coat pocket from last winter during Friday's lunch break. This little Black-capped Chickadee flew straight at me like a little bullet and sat on a twig near my head. It took only moments before he landed on my outstretched hand.

A feathered friend soon joined him. He was able to grab 2 seeds in one mouthful!

Deryl snapped this photo of a Hermit Thrush, actually sitting in the sun! 
We usually find them foraging in the shade on the forest floor.

A large flock of Double-crested Cormorants flew south over Canatara from 
Lake Huron. There were 130 birds in this flock, the most I have ever seen migrating.

After our Canatara visit, we knew the day was too beautiful to not spend 
outside, so we headed to the Dow Wetlands. I found a Four-humped Stink Bug
It is a favoured food of the Blue-Headed, Yellow-throated and Red-Eyed Vireos!

Although we could see birds in the distance, most were staying low. Trainees at the adjacent property housing the Lambton College Fire School, were practicing putting out car fires. We heard several explosions and saw lots of smoke. No wonder the birds were staying low!

As we headed back to the car, we found a Green Frog 
resting in the sun, perhaps the last one we'll see this year.

I found a smiley face in Canatara on Saturday. I can see a mouth, nose, 2 eyes 
and an interesting hair style. It was a tree bud on what I believe is a Walnut tree.









No comments:

Post a Comment