Tuesday, January 12, 2021

 New Lambton Bird For Me!

I had a pleasant surprise last week when I unexpectedly found a Northern Mockingbird. Although I have seen this species in other parts of Ontario, this was my first siting in Lambton County. (We are at the northern edge of their range.) I didn't have the proper camera lens at the time for a picture, but the above "in flight" photo showed the white wing patches and white outer tail feathers which quickly helped me to identify it.
Additional visits to the site on my daily walks have provided better views.

Mockingbirds rely upon berries in the winter months and insects in the summer.

It was feasting on rose hips from the invasive Multiflora Rose. There are several juniper trees/bushes in the area laden with berries that it will also eat.

I haven't heard the bird vocalize, but they are known to mimic other birds and insects. An adult male can learn up to 200 songs over the course of its life. (The Cornell Lab, All about Birds.) I recall my parents having issues with a noisy Mockingbird outside their window while they were trying to sleep. Apparently night time singing is more common during the full moon!


No comments:

Post a Comment