Saturday, July 17, 2021

 Mink in our Midst!

I have noticed American Mink in different locations this year. Since I found a family yesterday, I thought it would be fun to look back at some of the pictures I have collected over the past few years.
On Friday, I watched 4 American Mink run along the edge of the Lake Chipican channel. 

As soon as I was spotted, they started swimming. I usually only see one at a time. These animals are common in Ontario.

In 2019, a family of 5 Mink ran right past my ankles. I was standing still at the time and they froze when they realized I was present. I had time for 3 pictures before they disappeared into the underbrush.

A few years ago I watched one run along the St. Clair River in Port Lambton.

Last year one swam from the island in Lake Chipican to the mainland.

Although they are semiaquatic, this one seemed to prefer walking on the logs over getting wet. He eventually dove into the water without bothering the turtles. Minks are carnivores that feed on fish, frogs, crayfish and birds if they can catch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment