Friday, July 2, 2021

 Sheltering from the Wind!

It was a very windy morning in Sarnia! I took a walk along the beach and watched a Monarch trying to shelter in place. She was clinging to a stick wedged in the sand.

When I looked down, I noticed hundreds of invertebrates trying to stay out of the wind.

Many critters were holding on tightly to secure objects such as this stick. The Green Stink Bug was easy to see. (Stink bugs will emit an odour if threated by predators but are generally harmless to humans.) After a closer look, I saw he had a few "friends" also sheltering on and under the stick!

Adult Mayflies do not eat and may only live for one day as an adult! They rest with their wings above their body, even when sheltering from the wind.

Caddisfly adults rest with wings folded against the body.

A Ladybird beetle was playing "King of the Castle!" When I look at the enlarged photo, I can see 9 additional individuals on this tiny stick!

Fly Huddle! Now that's a lot of insects in a pile! The lower ones may be staying warm or they have found something to eat! They possibly belong to the "Freeloader" Family of flies.

The diversity of life was amazing!

4 comments: