Tuesday, October 19, 2021

 Canatara, Mid-October:

A group of 6 Great Egrets appear to be making migration plans. The next day they were gone!  (A seventh Egret supervised from above.) 

On a recent walk, I spied a Great Egret that was a little closer to the trail than the others. As I was preparing to take a photo, my view was "photo-bombed" by another Egret.

Kinglets have been abundant in wooded areas recently. The Golden-crowned Kinglet also has golden coloured feet!

A male Ruby-crowned Kinglet is sporting his fall colours!

I learned recently that the heartwood of Cottonwood Trees is star-shaped. I wanted to see for myself and collected half a dozen sticks off the ground. Only 1 twig showed a good star. Its important to find twigs that aren't too green or too rotten.

This morning I watched a Cooper's Hawk swoop down to the ground from higher up in a tree. Warning: If you don't want to see the cute little woodland creature that he caught in his talons, don't look at the next picture.....

Chipmunk is on the menu for today's lunch.

Sunset at Canatara Beach October 18th.






1 comment:

  1. Excellent day and great photos to go along with your adventure.

    ReplyDelete