Wednesday, October 6, 2021

North Lambton in October: 

I have made a few trips to North Lambton in recent days. A stop in Plympton-Wyoming gave me a view of Blue Point with a hint of fall colour.

Lambton Wildlife hosted a very informative iSpy Fungus Walk at the Lambton County Heritage Forest. We didn't cover much distance as conditions were ripe for Fungi to be found in a fairly short stretch of the trail. Reddish Brown Bitter Bolete is in my hand. Some of the souls braver than I tasted a sample and agreed that it was quite bitter. 

A member of the Amanita Fungi with the white "skirt" on the stem, is poisonous.

The gills of a Blewet are visible on the underside of this fungus.

Although also purple in hue, I believe this is a Viscid Violet Cort. The cap of this fungus was extremely slimy.

I was distracted by many things on the trail. We found a decaying log covered in ants with wings. These ants with wings are at the reproductive stage of life and are looking to find a mate. 
A millipede crawled around the top of a dead stick. It had possibly just moulted.

No comments:

Post a Comment