Sunday, October 31, 2021

 Fun Finds!

I stumbled upon a plant I had not noticed before, or at least not at this time of year. The decomposition of the seed case caught my eye. I believe it is a type of Groundcherry. I will need to check the location earlier next fall to try to identify the species.

Ash tree bud scar:  It reminded me of Aladdin with a large, heart-shaped mouth, nose and topped off with a fez!

Mallard Drake just before he swallowed the whole acorn!

Beetle Larvae tracks in dead wood.

Wild Bergamot flower seed head.

One of these things is not like the other! The centre of the photo shows a Cattle Egret, adult, non breeding, mixed in with hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls. Can you see it?? It was originally found by Deryl this morning, then re-found by Anne at Hiawatha. Great to find this tropical heron in Lambton County. Fun Fact: Cattle Egrets will fly towards smoke from long distances away to catch insects fleeing a fire! Cornell Lab, All About Birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment