Tuesday, December 21, 2021

 Traffic Jam Over Canatara!

On the shortest day of the year, I was excited to hear the bugling sound of Sandhill Cranes approaching overhead! In flight, they fly with their necks outstretched in front of them. (Herons bend their necks in flight.) Sandhill Cranes can live up to 20 years in the wild. (Cornel Lab, All About Birds.)

When I first heard them calling, I looked up to see 42 birds migrating towards me!

I watched them circle overhead for 3 minutes. (I checked the times on my photos)  It made me wonder if they were considering landing. They were probably trying to gain altitude by catching thermals as they headed west towards the St. Clair River.

Looks like 3 of them had a mid-air collision!
A great way to celebrate the beginning of longer daylight hours!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment