Tuesday, August 30, 2022

 A Visit to Henderson C.A. Petrolia:

Virginia Creeper Sphynx Moth caterpillars are pudgy and either green or brown with a thick, fleshy horn at the rear. Virginia Creeper, grapevine and viburnum are all host plants for the larva. https://www.insectidentification.org/insectdescription.php?identification=Virginia-Creeper-Sphynx-Moth. Since I found this one on the bark of a White Pine Tree, I am guessing that it was on its way to transform into a pupa.

Several Aster Treehoppers were clustered together on one leaf and they were at different stages of growth! The light-coloured one close to the top of the photo is emerging from its nymphal stage into an adult. After checking on line, I learned that ants will collect honeydew from this species. I'm very glad I took a closer look at what I initially thought was bird poop, or I would have missed this cool species and ant interaction!

Carrot Seed Moth nectaring on cCommon Teasel.

There are 2 Carrot Seed Moth caterpillars visible, and probably more hiding within the folded flower head of a Queen Anne's Lace (wild carrot) plant. The smooth round blobs are frass (insect poop).

The stout and sturdy Leaf-footed Bug will fight with males of its own species, but takes flight at the first sign of any other danger. Their lower legs have a flat, "dried leaf shape" which is used to fight other males in order to win a female during courtship. 
https://www.insectidentification.org/insectdescription.php?identification=Leaf-Footed-Bug

Mating Crane Flies. Can you see them? They caught my attention when they flew and landed on the ground in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment