Tuesday, October 8, 2024

 October Butterflies!

Some butterflies can still be found in sheltered, sunny areas during the fall. Returning home from a walk on October 2nd, after seeing few butterflies in Canatara Park, I saw a Common Buckeye waiting for me on the glass of my front door! It was nice to have a welcoming committee! I was able to get a few shots before it flew away. The eyespots can deter predators by tricking them into believing the eyes belong to a much larger creature. 

Common Buckeye, underwing, near Petrolia.

Fiery Skippers aren't able to tolerate harsh winters. They live year-round in the southern parts of the United States and expand their population north during the spring and summer months. They overwinter as pupae in leaf litter, emerging in the spring. We have been lucky to see several in SW Ontario this year.

Fiery Skippers can be difficult to find in most of Ontario, but I saw 6 individuals in Canatara Park in a garden on October 5th! I couldn't believe my luck when 2 landed on the same flower head!!

On October 7th, another one tried to hide from me. Notice the Fiery Skipper on the top of the leaf. It chose the perfect background for camouflage!

I still see the odd Monarch heading south.

An Orange Sulphur nectaring on a mustard plant.

Common Painted-lady on white asters.

Peck's Skippers are abundant earlier in the season. This is the first one I have seen in a few weeks.

Common Checkered Skipper

It is hard to say for sure, but the position of the abdomen on this Common Checkered Skipper makes me wonder if it was laying an egg on October 7th! They are able to reproduce in Southern Ontario through the summer. The overwintering stage is a mature caterpillar and it is unlikely that the caterpillar can survive Ontario's winters. However, we have experienced milder than normal winters in the past few years.
The ROM Field Guide to Butterflies of Ontario, Peter W. Hall, et al, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment