Sunday, October 6, 2024

 Suncor Trail/Wawanosh

A half dozen Monarchs migrated southward as I walked the Suncor and Wawanosh Wetlands trail loop.

The Monarch Mimic: A Viceroy rested on some Queen Anne's Lace, (also called Wild Carrot).
.
I likely rolled my eyes when I first attempted to photograph the adult Clouded Sulphur because it flew away just as I was about to snap the photo. However, it didn't fly far, and when I lined it up with my lens, I noticed that it had landed beside a Yellow Bear Caterpillar! Once it becomes an adult, the caterpillar will be known as a Virginian Tiger Moth!

The tiny specks "suspended" between the 2 twigs are insects that were caught in a spider web. I watched many warblers, including a Yellow-rumped Warbler approach this and other webs to grab a snack or two.

Something disturbed a Great Egret at the far end of the channel. It was headed west in this photo as it flew past me.

And then it turned and headed back in the direction from which it came!

A Hickory Tussock Moth caterpillar was easy to spot on a Sumac leaf that was changing into its fall colours.

Common Painted-Lady

A natural vegetation tunnel along a Wawanosh trail.

Following wet weather, this section of the trail is often under water or is extremely muddy. It was nice to see improvements have been made to the south trail at Wawanosh Wetlands since I last visited! 

Pockets of Eastern Boxelder Bugs congregated on a Manitoba Maple.

Most of the Canada Geese visible from the trail were camped out on surrounding farm land. This pair decided they would rather be in the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment