Monday, July 20, 2020

Ever Get The Feeling You're Being Watched?

Young Screech Owl keeping an eye on the path below.

The bold eye patterns on the Common Buckeye likely help to startle potential predators, giving the butterfly a chance to escape! I found 2 of these in Canatara on Monday! The patterning resembles two eyes, orange eye brows and flaring nostrils!

The Question Mark butterfly on my shoe was probably finding dried salt as my shoes spent a lot of time in the mud this spring!

Butterflies in Canatara are few and far between, not surprising since the City sprayed for Gypsy Moths. I was happy to find a Summer Azure while walking along a trail.

I have noticed many dragonflies resembling this one with a black face. Finally took
 the time to identify it. - A Slaty Skimmer, which is a new species for me!
The Eastern Pond Hawk is a different shade of blue and has a green face!

A Hickory Tussock Moth was crawling along my arm when I first noticed him so I urged him to crawl onto a plant. This pretty caterpillar can cause a rash on some people so is best left alone.

Many interesting kinds of fungus to be found in many different locations!

No comments:

Post a Comment