Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Hairstreaks in the Heat!

There are many Hairstreaks flying with the warmer weather, although I think even butterflies may be finding the temperatures a little on the warm side!
I haven't seen a Coral Hairstreak since 2012 but managed to find one yesterday during
 my lunch break. I didn't realize what I had found until I looked at the photos on the computer. I returned to today and found it again. Luckily they are loyal to their territory!

Deryl has recently discovered an interest in butterflies and found a couple that I had not seen before including this Striped Hairstreak above and the very rare Northern Oak Hairstreak below. Careful attention must be made to see the differences in the species.

Hummingbird or Clearwing moths have been reported for a few weeks 
and I finally saw my first one of the year this week. They hover, just like a hummingbird!
Although its colour is alarming, the Great Golden Digger Wasp is non aggressive. She was busy digging tunnels in our garden this evening in order to lay her eggs. 
Is it a flower or a dragonfly?? An Eastern Amberwing Dragonfly 
perched perfectly on a stem to create the illusion of a flower!




No comments:

Post a Comment