Saturday, August 7, 2021

Fluttery Things !

The native plants in our flower gardens are attracting a number of species, including this Giant Swallowtail sipping nectar from a Purple Cone Flower.

Giant Swallowtails are easier to identify when the dark upper wing is visible.

There must have been a new batch of Monarchs emerging from the chrysalis on August 2, as it was the most abundant species I found that day. Although only 3 are visible in the photo, this Butterfly Bush was feeding12 Monarchs at the same time.

A pair of Monarchs enjoyed some Teasel nectar in the Canatara Meadow.

I didn't realize my good fortune until I looked at this photo on my computer.  I had captured a female Monarch in the process of laying an egg on a milkweed leaf. Look closely at the tip of her abdomen and you can see a tiny white egg being deposited!

Learning moth names can be a bit overwhelming thanks to the massive numbers of moths. Luckily the name of this White-spotted Brown Moth describes its features! 



No comments:

Post a Comment