Saturday, August 28, 2021

Osprey Goes For Gold! 

One of the first birds I saw upon entering Canatara Park this moring was an Osprey, perched in a tree!

I watched it circle the lake a few times. This photo was the last I took before it plunged into the water only 20 feet away! My view was blocked because I was under a tree and didn't realize he was going to land so close to me.

The bird's head stayed above water during the huge splash. No dainty dives for this one!

Going up!

Osprey are unusual amoung hawks in that they have a reversible outer toe that allows them to grasp with two toes in front and two behind. Barbed pads on the soles of the birds' feet help them grip slippery fish. When flying with prey, an Osprey lines up its catch head first for less wind resistance. Cornell Lab, All About Birds.

Even as it approached the tree tops, the Osprey was still shaking water from its feathers!
It was a pretty cool experience!! There are 2 nests within the City of Sarnia and another in the Port Huron area so 3 families of Osprey are getting food from Canatara Park.






1 comment: