Tuesday, July 26, 2022

 A Visit to Windsor:

We had a few hours in our schedule to walk some of the trails in the Ojibway Prairie Provincial Nature Preserve last weekend. We were hoping for butterflies but the cloudy, cool conditions limited our finds to only 9 species. We did manage to find one Tiger Swallowtail

Deryl spotted a well camouflaged Northern Pearly-eye!

A Green Heron waited patiently in a marshy area for some food.

We saw 51 Purple Martins sitting along wires. This pair did an aerial dance directly overhead. Notice the yummy dragonfly in the beak of the bird on the left.

Although we didn't find any new butterfly species, I was very excited about this spider! When I first noticed her, the striped abdomen tricked me into thinking it was a wasp, but I soon counted 8 legs. I learned she is an Emerald Jumping Spider, a species first verified in Canada in 2020! I was happy to be able to provide more documentation of the species!

First juvenile Killdeer that I have seen in a few years! We were able to get close by staying in the car as it ran along the edge of a parking area.

No comments:

Post a Comment