Tuesday, July 19, 2022

 An American Lady Visitor!

An American Lady visited our backyard recently. 

The expansion of our native garden provided her with the host plant required to lay eggs. A friend warned me that  American Lady caterpillars construct tents from silk to bind together the leaves and create shelter. A quick glance might lead me to think that my Pearly Everlasting was dying.

I found 26 shelters made by the larva! 
Above, one is peeking out of its nest on a cloudy day.

Larva on the move! I haven't found a chrysalis yet but hope that some of the 26 caterpillars will make it to adulthood. Cardinals in particular, fancy eating the larva.

In the summer months, American Lady butterflies can be found in the southern parts of Canada and northern U.S. As winter approaches, they migrate to warmer weather in the southern U.S. and Mexico. www.insectidentification.org

No comments:

Post a Comment