Monday, September 5, 2022

 A Butterfly in the House!

On August 30th, I first noticed a chrysalis inside a jug that I use to store water for plants. After a bit of research, I learned it was made by the larva of a Cabbage White Butterfly. The Cabbage White is an introduced species, native to Asia and Europe. It unfortunately outnumbered our native species this summer by a wide margin.

I had forgotten about it until an adult Cabbage White caught my attention in the kitchen window this evening.

Deryl used a butterfly net to remove it from the house.

It soon began to nectar on our Missouri Ironweed, so I guess we helped to keep the Cabbage White population healthy in our neighbourhood!

This Common Buckeye was not raised in our house. During a 90 minute period, I doubled the number of Common Buckeyes that I have ever seen in one year! In 2020, over a 3 month period, I saw a record 9 Buckeyes. Today, that number skyrocketed to 18 individuals in Bright's Grove! We were very careful to not count any twice. The number was probably higher as there were a few "definite possible maybes" that we couldn't confirm. I have probably seen close to 30 Common Buckeye in 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment