Wednesday, September 14, 2022

 Some Flutterbies!

A Leonard's Skipper fluttered around some goldenrod recently. I was able to find this rare species in southern Ontario because there is a population in North Lambton. They will overwinter at the caterpillar stage. 

I didn't see any Monarch butterflies today. I looked for a roost in the park last night and couldn't find one. Perhaps the bulk of them have headed south.

My most exciting find recently was a Variegated Fritillary in Canatara today. I was standing on top of a hill (known by local birders as Hawk Watch Hill) when a blur of a butterfly flew past. As I patiently watched its erratic flight it curved around and landed nearby. It is another mainly tropical butterfly that has wandered north this year. - the 4th tropical species I have seen in Lambton County in 2022, and another lifer!  

I like the curled proboscis which is visible on this Peck's Skipper! The proboscis is the tongue of a butterfly that is used to retrieve nectar from flower sources.

A different angle of a Common Buckeye. I found another one today!

This Great Blue Heron made me laugh. I'm not sure if he was flashing me or trying to sell a product hidden under his wings. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment