Sunday, June 2, 2024

 Things Getting Wings - Soon!

An abundance (50+) American Painted Lady caterpillars have been living on the Pearly Everlasting planted in my native garden this spring. Adult females continue to visit and there is a wide variety of larval stages in the garden. I don't expect all of them to reach adulthood. Northern Cardinals are regularly seen grabbing the caterpillars and carrying them away to feed their young. The individual on the right has created shelter by using silk to join leaves together. They stay in the shelter during the daytime and come out at night to feed.

Identifying this larva has proven to be a challenge. It is a stick mimic! Normally stick mimic caterpillars will blend in well with their surroundings as they pretend to be a part of the tree. I found it in the same location for a few days in a row, and the red colour became more distinct as it aged.

Yellow-collared Scape Moth caterpillar.

Probably an Asteroid Moth caterpillar.

Painted Lady caterpillar.

I first noticed the larva of the Thistle Tortoise Beetle because it looked like bird poop. When I saw it moving, I realized I had found live critters! The brown mass on top of the larva is dried frass (insect poop) and when combined with the lateral spines which are visible in the photo, a protective shield is created.

Thistle Tortoise Beetle adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment