Thursday, August 6, 2020

A Macro World

I have been enjoying looking for tiny life with my macro lens. The non-biting midge above has a long scientific name, Chironomus crassicaudata. I love the feathery antennae!
The same midge species was also on the petal of one of my Brown-eyed Susan's, which gives a bit of size perspective.
I had to react quickly to photograph this pair of ants carrying a caterpillar back to their nest. They were speedy little insects on a mission!
It is fun to find leaf rollers in the trees and bushes. Many species of insects will roll leaves to use as a shelter, feeding source or place to go through metamorphosis.
Earlier this week, I saw a rolled leaf with a circular hole cut from the middle. Inside, I could see what appeared to be frass! (insect poop). I assume that the insect successfully became an adult and went out into the world to find a mate.
While hiking the Howard-Watson trail this morning, we found a Cicada sitting in the sun. Cicadas are referred to as Nature's Thermometers. Some people say if you count the number of chirps in 15 seconds and add 37, you will get the temperature in Fahrenheit. Good luck trying as it is difficult counting those chirps on a hot day!
These adult Monarchs aren't a part of the macro world, but they are working on creating more tiny creatures!





No comments:

Post a Comment