Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Baby Turtles Are Hatching! 

Last June, I wrote a post about excavating a nest of Snapping Turtles. The Mom had dug her nest in an area that was unlikely to produce successful hatchlings. The eggs were incubated in a lab. Now that they are hatching, they are being returned to their original nesting area.

Of the 46 eggs laid, 16 have hatched so far. I was happy to be asked to be a part of the release! I picked up the young turtles and drove them to Henderson C.A. I think they were a little "shell shocked" from all the traveling. They just sat there in neat little rows when I gently placed them on the ground. I walked away for 10 minutes and when I returned, they had all ventured to the pond. As the remaining turtles hatch, they will be returned to the Henderson pond later this week.

Some of the rescued nests in other locations hosted Spiny Softshell Turtles. I was thrilled to capture a photo of 2 of the little cuties before departing with my crew. I love their long, pointy noses! 

I enjoyed a walk at Campbell C.A. while I waited for the arrival of the turtles. A new Pollinator Garden attracted many species including this pair of Great Spangled Fritillaries.

All the rain that fell last weekend, created some temporary wetlands in Canatara. These Great Egrets, as well as other herons, ducks and geese were making good use of the space!

I was surprised to find a Fiery Skipper this week. It's been a few years since I last saw one!

I see lots of these oddly shaped spiders, but they are usually too high to photograph. This Spined Micrathena was about shoulder height along a trail. Its spiny abdomen is a deterrent for predators.

This snail was literally hanging by a thread. Perhaps his plan was to eat the leaf and drop to the ground. It would be much faster than crawling back down the stem of the plant!



No comments:

Post a Comment