Thursday, August 13, 2020

 Cicadas in Canatara.

The coolest thing I found this week was watching 2 different Cicadas emerge from their exoskeletons. I assume the wings will turn a dark colour within a few hours. The bright green wings must make it an easy target for predators such as birds and larger insects.

This side profile shows the Cicada still clinging to the exoskeleton. I watched its legs move slowly as it was getting used to its new form.

Two days ago I found a Cicada in the process of emerging from it's exoskeleton. 
This one has not yet spread its wings.

I didn't realize how many species of Cicada exist in Ontario. I'm not sure if this is the Periodical Cicada that lives under ground for 17 years before crawling to the surface and exiting its exoskeleton. 2020 is supposed to be an emergent year. Other types of Cicadas will emerge annually.

Onto some other stuff:

A Green Heron ignored me as he hunted for food at the Point Lands. I was able to stand on the other side of the ditch and not bother him.
Most of his time was spent looking for invertebrates in the water, but he also snapped at aerial creatures above his head.

A walk through the Canatara meadow revealed 5 tiny Eastern-tailed Blue butterflies. They rarely sit with their wings spread so I was happy to see at least partially opened wings!

I wasn't expecting to find a Buckeye yesterday. This one was skittish, but I still managed a few shots showing the "eyes"!

When the Buckeye flew away, I turned to find an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail nectaring on teasel.
I saw 14 Common Ringlets, more than I have ever found on one outing. They liked the Queen Anne's Lace.

This young Wood Duck was practicing sitting on tree branches, just above the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment