Sunday, September 6, 2020

Canatara Park, Early September.

A small group of Sanderlings hunted for food on the Canatara Beach this week. I never figured out what the food in the photo is, but the bird was very busy moving it around and washing it off in the lake. He tossed it in the air as I snapped this photo. The shadow of the prize he eventually ate is also visible.

Bright and early Saturday morning, (before the sun had even risen) Deryl headed to the beach with his lawn chair. A quick text from him and I knew he had found a Ruddy Turnstone. I arrived in time to see this handsome shorebird. Although they come inland to the Great Lakes during migration, they generally prefer feeding on rocky, tidal coasts!

A young Wood Duck paddled quietly in the Lake Chipican channel.

Moving inland to the meadow, I saw a new species, a 2 Striped Plant Hopper. I actually found a few of them that day!

Finding an American Snout made my day! I don't get to see these every year. 
Notice the very long snout.

A Duskywing decided my shoe made a good camouflauged rest stop!

Several Red-breasted Nuthatches met up for lunch at a local 
White Pine Tree. This fellow spent most of his lunch break hanging 
upside down, retrieving seeds and bugs from the pine cones!









 

No comments:

Post a Comment