Wednesday, September 9, 2020

 Fungus Fun!

As wet Fall weather approaches, I find it easier to locate fungi. My identification skills are lacking in this Kingdom, but I wanted to post photos of some of the amazing colours and shapes that I find in the forest.
The circles above, belong to the Birdnest fungus group. They look like tiny eggs inside a nest. The maximum diameter of one cup is only 5/8 inch. They grow on dead wood, bark, twigs and wood chips.

A slightly closer look.

Beefsteak Polypore, Canatara Park.

White-pored, Chicken of the Woods is a new species for me and I found it several times this summer. All were found in Canatara as well.
Bear's Head Tooth at Henderson Conservation Area near Petrolia.

Velvet Shanks at Henderson C.A.

Some of the fungus I have tried to i.d. typically only has a Scientific name including this jelly fungus with 10 syllables! Ductifera pululahuana. (Now that's a mouthful! But PLEASE don't put it in your mouth! This isn't an edible mushroom post.)

I still need to identify this fungus. I like how it holds water similar to a saucer.

No comments:

Post a Comment