Sunday, September 20, 2020

Things With and Without Wings!

While enjoying the view on the Riverside Trail at the Pinery, 
Great Blue Heron landed on a log and walk to his fishing post.

Its the time of year for Grasshoppers to lay eggs. A female will deposit up to 300 eggs in the ground during the late summer/fall. They will lie dormant, waiting for warm weather to return in the spring before hatching as tiny replicas of their parents.

While walking along a trail at Henderson Conservation Area, I noticed the dried flower head of a Queen Anne's Lace appeared to have an extra lump.

Upon closer inspection, a hairy orb weaver spider was visible. 

As I was watching it, a white bead grew at the end of the abdomen and was then expelled. The white bead shot out about 6 inches before gravity took it to the ground. I believe I had just watched a spider poop!

When I drove past the zebra farm earlier this week, I was happy to see them sunning in the field. This photo can almost make me believe I had travelled to the African savannah!

Two more were in a shelter for a total of 5!


No comments:

Post a Comment