Sunday, September 27, 2020

 Some of My Favourite Invertebrates!

Finding brightly coloured insects such as this Red-banded (or Candy Striped) Leaf Hopper in my backyard just helps to fuel my interest in the natural world!

One of my most commonly found caterpillars this year is the Hickory Tussock Moth. This caterpillar is considered to be venomous. Touching the caterpillar can cause some people to get a rash similar to poison ivy or nettles. It feeds on hickory, walnut, ash, and elm trees.

Here is a member of the Bristle Fly Family, very well 
named when you notice all the bristles visible on its body! 

There are so many bee mimics in the meadow right now. Looking carefully at the suggestions in iNaturalist, I believe this is a Narrow-headed Marsh Fly.

This little Orb Weaver caught my attention when he popped out of his folded leaf shelter. I only had time for a few shots before he climbed back up and was out of sight.

Although I often see snails at surprisingly high heights, I don't believe I have ever seen one on a flower head before!

This active and rapid flying Fiery Skipper paused to nectare in the sunshine on some Aster in Canatara Park this morning. Nice to still be able to find some butterflies!







No comments:

Post a Comment