Thursday, September 17, 2020

 Still Lots to see As Summer Winds Down!

My best butterfly find of the week was a Bronze Copper, found along the South Shore Trail at Mitchell's Bay. Probably only the 3rd that I have ever seen. Their populations are said to be declining due to wetland drainage.

This view shows the underwing pattern.

More worn than the one I saw in early August, finding a Compton Tortoiseshell sunning at Henderson Conservation Area was a real treat! Only the second time I have ever seen this species!
Black Swallowtails over winter as a chrysalis. It is late enough in the season that this individual will likely spend the winter in its chrysalis.

All a part of the great food web, this Skipper was eaten by a member 
of the bee family. The bad tasting and nutrient poor wings were tossed aside.

Warblers are continuing to migrate through the area. We found a Pine Warbler devouring berries in Canatara Park.

I noticed a tail wagging bird in a dense bush. Surprisingly, the Northern Waterthrush came out of hiding and we watched him take a jaunt along a small log. They are most often found near shallow or stagnant water.

I have encountered a few of these tiny flutter flies this year - Toxonevra superba! Although I tend to prefer common names, I love the Scientific name for this species. How SUPERB to have wings that look like antlers! This fellow was dining on some bird droppings.







No comments:

Post a Comment